What are the benefits of meditation? Meditation is the cornerstone of spiritual awareness. It is the time for you to sit quietly and to tune-out the distractions of the physical world. It’s your time be open to messages from the spiritual realm. It’s when you receive thought messages with ideas and guidance of actions you should take.
With the hectic pace and demands of today’s world, we often feel stressed and overworked. Often it feels like there is not enough time in the day to get everything done. We are unhappy, impatient and frustrated due to our stress.
Negative effects of stress
Stress is one of the most common reasons why entrepreneurs lose
focus and lose business. Daily you are faced with distractions caused by people encroaching on your work day. You are dealing with the fires others and circumstances create and you have to put them out.
You are so busy you feel there’s no time to stop and meditate! However, meditation actually gives you more time! Meditation gives your mind a time to be more calm and focused. Sitting in silence and quieting mind allows you to put other things aside. This is your time to focus on your business instead of the busy pressures.
Many highly successful people meditate
Many successful entrepreneurs, including high performing network marketers, practice daily meditation. They take time out everyday, normally at the beginning of their day, to sit in the silence.
Sitting in the silence is one of the techniques that Hal Elrod promotes in his book The Miracle Morning to help entrepreneurs become high performers.
The effects of meditation go beyond improving your productivity. Excess stress is extremely bad for your health. It is the number one cause of death, and you thought it was heart attacks. Stress is the major cause of most heart attacks. Stress causes many other fatal and non-fatal diseases of the body.
Supported by scientific institutions
Major studies have been done by the National Institutes of Health, the American Medical Association, the Mayo Clinic and others. They have stated that meditation can reduce stress and high blood pressure.
A study done by Harvard University found that just eight weeks of meditation could lead to “increased grey-matter density in the hippocampus, known to be important for learning and memory. Meditation is associated with self-awareness, compassion, and introspection structures.”
The Harvard study states that practicing silent meditation can help you reduce your stress, improve cognitive performance, and even replace medication!
There are a variety of meditation techniques that have been handed down through the ages. These techniques help you to gain mastery over your physical body’s energetic system. You can change your business success and your life by using meditation on a regular basis.
Grounding, clearing your mind, centering in your head, and running
I learned to meditate using the very simple technique taught by Mary Ellen Flora in her book Meditation Key to Spiritual Awakening. I purchased several books about meditation and found this one to be the easiest one to learn.
In addition to her book, I took personal lessons from Mary Ellen Flora. The meditation format I outline below is an abbreviated version of what I learned from this every spiritual women.
Steps for Mindfulness Meditation
Before you begin your meditation it is important for you to clear your mind of your worldly thoughts, to send them all back to the earth they came from. Let go of the past and the future. Become fully present in the moment. Become one with your Creator. This process defines grounding.
If this sounds too New Age or foreign for you, that’s alright. I felt the same way. It’s uncomfortable to leave your comfort zone. You are doing something different that you haven’t done before.
- Find a quiet, comfortable place to sit in a straight-backed chair with your feet placed apart on the floor. Place your hands apart on your lap. Keeping your hands and feet apart allows your energy to flow freely.
- Have your spine as straight as you can. This allows your energy to flow smoothly and comfortably.
- Allow time for your body to become comfortable in this position.
- Begin by focusing on your breath, taking deep slow breaths through your nose and out your mouth. Your breathing relaxes your body and enhances your meditation and your communication with the Creator.
- Close your eyes and turn your attention inward. Whenever you close your eyes you are tuning out the physical, visual world and tuning into the spiritual world that is within you.
- Now start to pace your breathing. Keep your eye closed. Breath in slowly for a count of three seconds. Hold your breath in for three seconds. Than slowly breath out for a final count of three. You will begin to feel your emotions and thoughts settle down as you focus on your breath.
- Now begin to ground, to connect with the earth. Grounding is the way you disconnect from the physical world and take charge of your creativity. Become aware of the area around the bottom of your spine. Now visualize an energy beam that is flowing from the bottom of your spine, though the chair, the floor and going deep into the very center of the earth. This is your grounding cord. Allow your grounding cord to securely attach you to the center of the Earth. Become one with the Earth.
- Relax and experience the spiritual connection that you’ve created with the Earth. Notice how your body feels and reacts to being grounded. Take more deep, controlled breaths to focus your attention on you and your body.
- Now begin to send your human thoughts, worries, concerns down your energy cord back into the earth from which them came. Clear your mind of your human thoughts. Take time to allow your body to adjust.
- Pull the energy of the earth up though the bottom of your feet and into your abdomen. Breath in and pull the earth energy into your body. Breath out and send your human thoughts down deep into the earth, clearing your mind. Breath in…Breath out…Breath in…Breath out….clearing your mind and becoming one with the Earth.
- Allow yourself to be still. Listen to your inner thoughts and your body. Begin to know yourself and your body as you ground. Each person will have their own unique experience.
Center of Your Head
The center of your head is where you, as spirit, reside in your body. In the center of your head you are able to remain neutral, without judging yourself and others. This is your neutral space where you see what is instead of what you wish were true or what others wish you to see. Being in the center of your head is where you can be amused and in control of your reality.
- Focus your attention into the center of your head, behind and slightly above the level of your eyes. Be in the center of your head. Take a few deep, controlled breaths, allowing yourself to relax even more.
- Become fully present in this moment. Not thinking, not doing, just being. Letting go, clearing your mind and being receptive to receiving your most inner thoughts. Being in the center of your head puts you in a neutral place with yourself and others.
- Sit quietly for 10 or more minutes. Just be in the present moment. Be aware of your thoughts.
It’s normal if you find that you keep having human thoughts. Just focus and concentrate on your breathing.
Another technique t become grounded is to recite a single word, phrase or mantra on each inhale and exhale of your breath.
Just let go. Enjoy the moment. Just breathe..Just be…
When you are ready, begin to come back into the physical world. Start to become aware of your surroundings. The sounds,temperature, how your body feels. Give thanks to the Spirit World for your time of mediation. Then very slowly open your eyes and become aware of your surroundings.
Sit for a moment and become re-oriented in the physical world. When you are ready, gently stand up and move.
You may want to keep a journal to write down your thoughts at the end of your meditation so you can remember them and act on them.
Benefits of Meditation
Meditation is a gift that you can give to yourself everyday. It will help you to become more aware of what your intuition is telling you to do. It’s your time to be at peace, have freedom from day to day stress and worries, and to give gratitude for the many good things you have received.
While your problems will still be where you left them before your meditation, you’ll be much more centered and better equipped to solve them.
Spending time in the silence will help you to become a better entrepreneur. It will help you to become more focused. Better able to decide on what daily actions you must take not only in business, but also in your personal life.
Other posts that you may find helpful:
If you found this post Benefits of Meditation for Entrepreneurs to be useful please share it with your friends on Facebook.